Thursday, July 16, 2009

Oh, I'm so behind...

I don't even know where to start. I'll try to hit a few highlights in random order with some jumbled thoughts thrown in for good measure!

First of all, I miss all you friends and family who are reading this blog! I've been catching up with lots of old friends lately, and remembering why they were friends in the first place. God is so good to give us the opportunity to make new friends when we move, but it sure is fun to reconnect with old ones, too!

We spent a few days in late June at the farm "helping" with harvest and just soaking up time with Mom and Dad and Gwen and Lane. A good time was had by all, especially Aubrey, who got to DRIVE (the car) and Luke, who got to drive (the combine.) I think we'll lose Luke for the summer soon... his heart is on the farm. Jackson and Lane spent time just being boys. Mom has some good pictures up on her blog, so you'll have to head over there and check them out.

As soon as we got home we did a load of laundry and headed to Ottawa for a fourth of July celebration with the Bernings. Once again, a good time was had by all! The kids loved swimming in the lake and fishing and water ballooning and shooting fireworks and enjoying their cousins. Shelley has lots of pictures up on her blog, so in the interest of actually getting this post finished I'll just point you over there instead of posting my own.

Aubrey got braces put on after we got home from Ottawa. She is handling them very well; just a few days where she didn't eat much. We're hopeful that they'll be off in a year or so. She reminds me daily that she'll be driving for real next summer....

Mom and Dad came to watch Luke play baseball last week. His team struggles, but Luke loves every minute of every game. We just got home from his next-to-last game, and I realized that I'm going to be sad when it's over. The boys have all really improved. Luke got the "Slugger of the Year" award from his coach at their last practice. He is just a tiny bit proud of it! I think the highlight of Mom and Dad's visit for Jackson was when Dad took him and Luke shopping for duct tape. They have used up their roll making wallets, quivers, super hero masks, and even flip-flops for their sister. You know, I'm sure there was a reason they needed duct tape but I can't remember what it was. Dad?

Summers are just idyllic for me; I love having the kids home with me. I love the long evenings with the kids in the back yard, (just got interrupted by a baseball hitting my window... no damage though!) and I love the freedom from a schedule. I especially love the opportunities we have to get together with family and friends so often. Marilyn and Tim were here last night and today, and we are going to watch Grienke pitch at the Royals game tomorrow night at the new Kauffman Stadium.

I'll close this long post with a prayer request: our former pastor's wife, Julie, has had a recurrence of her ovarian cancer. She was turned away from the Mayo Clinic because they said it was too late for her. The cancer has spread to her liver and pancreas. Her husband, Rod, has lost his job and also has had his identity stolen. Oh, they need lots and lots of prayer! Rod says that "they feel Christ near to them through all of this." We pray that he will draw them nearer still. Please add them to your prayer list!

I miss you all, and am looking forward to seeing lots of you at the Leoti fair in just a couple of weeks!

2 comments:

Joann said...

It's delightful hearing about your great family summer happenings. I'm still chuckling about the duct tape -- such a "man" thing!

Prayers for your dear ones struggling with health, etc. Thanks for sharing the need.

grandpa bob said...

The duct tape is a "man' thing! The boys had made bathtub boats out of plastic bottles but Mom didn't have the 'right' tape to hold them together,of course. so we bought a package of 3 rolls at Orscheln's. I didn't realize they had more plans than the sailboats so I brought 2 rolls home. When Luke and Jack come for the fair they can have the other 2 rolls. LOOK OUT,HUTHCHISON-HERE COME THE GRAY TAPE BOYS!!!