Monday, October 27, 2008

a jillion pictures

I entitled this post "A Jillion Pictures" because I don't think I've ever put this many pictures on at once. Hopefully you'll be entertained and not get tired of scrolling down!

So, first of all, I had to include this picture of our beautiful maple tree. The fall colors are just gorgeous!

The real reason for this post was our afternoon of pumpkin-carving. Jackson has been DYING to carve his pumpkin ever since I bought it a month ago, but I made them wait until now so it wouldn't shrivel up before Halloween. I really like having the pumpkins out on the front porch, so in my selfish heart I wanted to keep them there as long as possible. I'm telling myself I'm teaching the kids delayed gratification. Right? Also, I didn't think we needed a jacko'lantern on the front porch when we have our very own live jacko'lantern:Do you see the resemblence? Jackson's smile is not exactly filled in with teeth at the moment!

Aubrey spent the longest on her design. She ended up carving a two-faced pumpkin with hair and a goatee. Here she is deliberating what to carve (with Grandma's help):

And here's one side of the finished product:
Luke's biggest challenge was fitting the lid back on the pumpkin.
How DOES he sit like that? He has the most flexible knee and hip joints of anyone I know. Does he get it from you, Uncle Larry? I remember you being able to reach your arm around your head and grab your chin. Funny the things that impress children!


The boys took off with the camera when they were done carving. I had around a hundred shots of their pumpkins outside,

in the closet with the lights off and a candle inside,

and most importantly, pumpkin brains.

The men ignored the carving, for the most part, and took in a game or two.

Well, maybe that wasn't quite a jillion pictures! Happy Halloween from our house to yours!

1 comments:

Ada Bernings said...

I know this won't help you for this year since you've already carved your pumkins but we learned something really neat a couple years ago about pumkin carving. When carving our pumpkins we cut the bottow out instead of the top to clean them out. Then you just set the bottom down lite the candle and put the pumkin on top. The bennefit is that the jack o lanters will last longer, because the heat from the candle doesn't shrink the top.