Wallpaper is an invention of the devil. I am convinced of that fact.
First of all, let me say that I, too, have wallpapered rooms in previous houses. It was the thing to do at the time, and looked just right. But, being the smart woman that I am, I sold those houses with the wallpapered rooms before I had to strip the wallpaper. Obviously I have become less smart as I age, since this house has not one but THREE rooms that have dated wallpaper in them. We tackled Aubrey's room immediately, and since it was only papered to chair rail height it wasn't so bad. I have been procrastinating starting on my bathroom. Until today. When I was bored.
As a sidenote, let me say that when Aubrey and I helped Mom strip the wallpaper in her kitchen, it just peeled right off!! How in the world did she get so lucky? It was papered in 1975, so by all rights it should have become a part of the wall by now. Not so. We had it completely stripped in under two hours, including the cleaning we did of the walls and the cupboards.
So, anyway, this is what Jerry is going to see when he gets home in ten minutes:
See those lovely dark patches? That's the underlayer of sheetrock. Nice. This represents about five hours of work. I think we will be checking into some Venetian plaster or some sort of texture treatment to cover all the bare parts.



3 comments:
Cayle and I had the best luck removing wall paper by spraying it down with water. Sorry to see you had so much trouble.
Ugh. Sorry your wallpaper is being so stubborn! Just think about how awesome the room will look when you are finished with the removal & then paint.
i feel for you! i tried to remove wallpaper off of some walls when we first moved in. it was plaster below 3 ugly layers! we had to do some major wall repair and used a textured paint!
Post a Comment