Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Swiss Potato Potage

I know everyone's thoughts are on spring and warmer temperatures, but I thought I'd post a recipe for a great potato soup anyway. It was cloudy and dreary here yesterday, and this really hit the spot! Credit to Jo Malleck for the yummy recipe.

Swiss Potato Potage

1 cup water

1 chicken bouillon cube

1/4 c chopped onion

1/2 c chopped celery

3 c chopped potatoes

1 tsp salt

dash pepper

1 Tbsp diced parsley (less if desired)

2 Tbsp flour

2 1/2 c milk

6 oz shredded swiss cheese

6 slices bacon, cooked crisply and crumbled

Bring water to boil in stockpot and melt bouillon cube. Add chopped veggies and simmer ten minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add seasonings. Mix a small amount of milk into the flour and stir until blended. Add milk mixture to the hot veggies and stir. Gradually add remainder of milk and heat through. Add cheese and bacon, stir to melt cheese. Serve with crusty bread.


Yummy! I used the pre-cooked bacon to save some time. Love that stuff. I also doubled the water and potatoes in the recipe (we eat a lot of soup, I guess) and we had only one serving left over. You'll just have to judge the liquid as the veggies simmer - I don't think 1 cup would be enough even if you only used 3 c of potatoes.


0 comments: