Luke wrote this essay for his Fourth Grade Writing Assessment. I thought some of you might enjoy it, although it's a little long. They had to write something pertaining to outdoor activities, so naturally he chose hunting.
"Outside"
I love going deer hunting with my dad. Last year we went hunting in the fall. It was a cold, snowy morning. We went into the back country of the counties surrounding Wichita County. We had looked for about two hours when some pheasant hunters (it was pheasant season too) spooked a big buck our way. My uncle saw it first, running over a hill into a bluff. He was supposed to say "Arorhooh!" but he was so excited he didn't. We got that from a movie we had watched that night! We chased the buck into the bluff, but he got around us so we searched for fifteen minutes. During that time, I went down a hill with a slab of cement on the side, the cement had a lot of ice on it. I didn't know that, I slipped and fell and slid aways. My uncle Mick had slipped and hadn't told me so we laughed when he told us that. It had begun to warm up by then and the buck was gone so we had a Pepsi and our lunch of sandwiches, jerky, and some candy, mmm.... tasty. I liked the jerky best. It was hot enough for me to take my hunting coat off, so I did. The snow was melting fast and I felt wonderful. We went to about ten or eleven more fields til we got discouraged, so we started going to the tops of hills to get a vantage point on the deer and chart where they were going next. We went like that for awhile. We stopped at a certain hill by a certain bluff, it was a deer hot spot, that bluff. Deer all over that place, woohoo! Jackpot! There was one huge buck my dad saw, so he started stalking the buck, it was awesome! He had to loop around the herd, then my uncle saw a different buck, smaller but it was still a big one! My dad was too far away by then, so we couldn't tell my dad. He was getting close! I was very excited! He was right on the edge of the bluff! Oh, so close and the deer didn't know he was there! So excited! He took aim... a few seconds later, Bang! He hits the huge buck! The bullet hits the vitals, but it can still run! It's running up the hill towards my dad... he reloads and again, Bang! This time the buck drops for good. It's dead! We climb over to him, I'm so excited! My dad was surprised when we told him about the other buck. My grandpa brings the pickup over to where the deer was. That was last year's hunt!
Kind of makes you wish you were there, doesn't it?
Kind of makes you wish you were there, doesn't it?


3 comments:
Good story Luke-maybe you could sell it to a hunting magazine-they pay pretty big "bucks" .Anyway I wish our grass was green and our trees were leaved out. Today has been a real bummer for May. Grandpa Bob
Great job with an exciting story, Luke! You made me feel like I was there with you -- seeing things, tasting stuff, feeling the weather. Keep up the good work!
Nice story Luke! Sounds like a great day and a good time. I was wishing I could have been there the whole time I was reading it. By the way, I was most impressed that you were able to figure out how to spell "Arorhooh" and very disappointed that Mick didn't remember his duty and use the right que word. Guess that's what you have to deal with when you hunt with rookies. Anyway I've watched that movie many times and never thought about having to spell that part out. You did a good job. Keep it up, your a very descriptive writer.
Post a Comment