Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rain, rain, rain

This Western Kansas girl is having the best week, ever. We've been blessed with rain several days this week, and, guess what......we even got to use umbrellas! Oh, the sound of rain in the morning, the smell of wet dirt and grass, the lush green lawn and pastures, it's just absolutely beautiful. I hope I never get used to it! I'm not even complaining about the mud on the kids' shoes, or the fact that the humidity made my tomatoes get moldy while setting on the counter overnight.

I went to buy some miniature cedars for the big urns in front of our clinic last week, and listened to the man at the nursery whine and complain about all the rain. I just smiled, and said I loved the rain, and walked away.

I sure wish I could send some of this rain your way, Dad, or your way, Sandy.

We don't usually watch the news here at our house; the timing just isn't right to have the tv on at that time of day. We were surprised by an email earlier this week letting us know that my cousin and her family were evacuated from their home in New Mexico due to the Trigo Forrest Fire southeast of Albuquerque. Last we heard they were allowed to return home Sunday, but the fire is not contained yet, and strong winds were forecast for today. I'm sure they would appreciate your prayers, for continued safety and for rain!

4 comments:

Ada Bernings said...

Yes the rain this time of year is nice. I'll be waiting to hear your view point of the humidity in about a month. We've been living in it for almost 18 years now and I still can't get used to it. Just don't seem right to walk out of the house at 6:00 in the morning and start sweating.

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

I'm sure the humidity will take some getting used to!

Joann said...

This Western KS girl has never become tired of the rain after five years of living in Houston and now almost 30 years of living in Emporia. I'm right there with you, Jennifer, rejoicing in the rain whenever we get it (and really wishing we could share, too). I guess we grew up in those "formative years" knowing what a precious commodity rain is to ever want to complain about it. I do agree, though, that the humidity can be a bear at times!

Joann said...

And I forgot to tell you, I love the web design. What a creative fit!