Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Trash Nazi

***Update***

The wind did die down enough for me to gather up my boxes one more time. I think the recycle crew got all but about three that I found in the neighbor's bushes. Oh well. It wasn't a good day at the gym either though. I kept thinking that my pants felt funny while I spent half an hour on the arc trainer (which I am not coordinated enough to use, but that's another story). I got home and discovered that my pants had been on backward the entire time. Jerry was even there with me and he didn't tell me!

I've tried to implement recycling this year; I don't know if it was exactly a New Year's resolution or just something that came about gradually. Anyway, it's so darn easy to recycle here I felt guilty for not doing it. In Syracuse, if I wanted to recycle, I had to haul it all to Garden City myself. The recycling place there was out by the dump. Not exactly conducive to saving the planet. Here, we pay for curbside recycling service on our monthly water/sewer/trash bill whether we use it or not. They come by every other week and pick up my stuff, all I have to do is set it out by the curb. I don't really even have to sort it. Paper and cardboard go together and everything else goes in another sack. Sounds easy, right?

Picture this: recycling day dawns with the wind blowing steadily at 20 mph. Gusts to 40 mph. I am dashing around my lawn trying to keep my boxes from blowing all over the neighborhood. After I came back in from the THIRD time of stuffing the smaller boxes back into the big box, I just decided to shut the blinds so I can't see it blowing everywhere. The kids can pick it up when they get home from school, right? We never see the neighbors on the south anyway.

I am NOT putting everything back in the garage until next time. I want my car to fit!

My family is not exactly on the recycling band wagon yet. In fact, they look at me like I'm crazy when I yelp at them for putting a cereal box in the trash. It's recyclable!! Pop cans - recyclable!! Junk mail - recyclable!! Water bottles - recyclable!! I think they're calling me the Trash Nazi behind my back. Good grief.

Okay, enough. Who is excited for American Idol tonight?? Danny Noriega is scaring me a little bit. Anyone else? He's so overtly gay that I'm afraid all of San Francisco AND Trinidad, CO will be voting for him, and he'll be around until the end. If you have no idea what I'm talking about you might have to watch tonight. It's on Fox at 7:00.

4 comments:

Mom and Dad Berning said...

Had a good laugh! Did you recycle get picked up?

Mom and Dad Berning said...

Had a good laugh! Did the recylcling ever get picked up?

Kim for the Kings said...

We earth lovin trash nazis in Mass are thrilled to have you join the recycling world! :) (It's easy here too, that is, when it's not crazy windy.)

The Wells Family-Jason, Gwen, Paige, and Lane said...

Too funny! I can see you "yipping" at your kids.

What kind of machine were you on at the gym? I'm probably not coordinated enough to use it either. Must run in the family!