I have a Jewish friend from New York, who, through a long convoluted series of events (she would be the first to tell you that God was in every single one of those events) moved to Syracuse, KS, became a Christian, and met and married a farmer. Michelle is a lot of fun to talk to; she definitely has a different perspective on life in Western Kansas than those of us who have lived there all our lives. Anyway, I think Michelle was in shock (understandably) for the first year or so. One of the things that she missed the most about New York was the variety of foods that were readily available. We introduced her to some good ol' home cooking, which I think for the most part she has grown used to. One of her pet peeves about food in Kansas is that every other recipe involves Cream of Mushroom soup in one form or another (on a side note, my Texas transplant friend says everything down there is made from Cheez Whiz). Anyway, I couldn't help thinking of Michelle when I made this pot roast, and in this case, I have to admit she is right. Cream of Mushroom soup did NOT make a better pot roast!
We did like the roast, it was juicy and tender and it did make it's own gravy (so there you go, Kim). It tasted just fine, really. However, the unanimous consensus was that I need to go back to my regular method of cooking pot roast. Essentially it is the same recipe, but with a packet of Au Jus mix instead of the COM soup. More flavorful, and more beefy!
So there you go, from our dinner table to yours!
Dear Eva (12 Years)
1 year ago


1 comments:
My favorite way to make roast is with a packet of onion soup mix. Beware,though, because your entire house will smell like onion soup for about 17 days!
Post a Comment