Jackson's class spent all day Tuesday at the State Fair. It was a lot of fun, as field trips go. We had seven well-behaved children and two monsters. That's not a bad ratio! Here are the kids with Oscar the Robot:
The kids never clued in that "Oscar" was the man speaking into his cell phone a few steps away! It was so amazing to them that Oscar could carry on a conversation with them. A real, live robot!
Another fun activity was sponsored by the Fire Safety Program from the Community College. The firemen let the kids try on their gear and climb all over the fire trucks, inside and out.
We watched the pig races, the alligator wrangler, and a magic show. We all ate huge ice cream cones and saw the butter sculpture. A good day. Then on Wednesday every school in Reno County had a teacher inservice day so the kids could go to Ride-a-Rama at the fair. Aubrey went with a friend, but the boys were stuck with me. I have no pictures of Aubrey, but I guess she had a good time. She came home at 9:30 and was wiped out!
A highlight for the boys was the Army tent. We were able to say thank you to a few soldiers who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan. They were so nice to the boys, and took a lot of time explaining the workings of four or five big guns, one was an M-16 and I have no idea what the others were. A grenade launcher was there, I think.
Here they are, flying by on the Blizzard. Remember the Blizzard, everyone? It's been around forever! It used to play the song "Wipe-Out" constantly, but now it plays lots of other songs very loudly. The operator on this ride was hilarious - he danced and lip-synched to the songs. He was a total carney - long ponytail, etc.
Jackson had enough money to buy a toy sword. He spied it on his field trip day and brought his money from home the next day. Luke doesn't have any money - he blew it all on a bow, remember? (A good purchase, by the way.) So he was pretty bummed that he couldn't buy a weapon. Anyway, later in the day we were walking through the Domestic Arts building so I could look at the quilts, which totally bored my boys. There were some benches set up in front of a demonstration kitchen, so I told them to sit down and rest while I browsed for awhile. The next thing I knew, they were both entered in a "Creative Culinary" contest. They had to make something out of some kitchen items within 30 minutes. The prize - $10.00
You guessed it, Luke won! He was interviewed for a short article in the Hutchinson News, and got his picture in the paper. More importantly, he had enough money to buy a 12-shooter rubber band gun. Much cooler than the sword. Luke is just golden like that - things work out for him! Jackson was a good sport about the whole thing.
Jerry met us for lunch at the fair, and the whole family went to the Jeremy Camp concert Tuesday night. All in all, a good fair week.



3 comments:
That's really nice that you guys now have such easy access to the State Fair. I'll bet it will make for some really cool memories in years to come.
How was the Jeremy Camp concert? He is one of my favorite artists! I know that we said last year, "We are going to the State Fair next year!" Here it is, and no chance we'll make it. Bummer. Really, I just want to come try some of the deep-fried things on sticks that I've seen on Food Network.
Tell Luke congrats! He does win everything, doesn't he? I think "golden" is a great way to put it. As soon as he is old enough, start having him buy lottery tickets! :)
Grandpa Earl,s attempt at commenting. Sounds like you all had a blast at the state fair and congratulations to
Luke for using his brain for a $1o.00 prize and getting his picture in the Hutch paper. Hang in there Jackson and your turn will come soon.
Post a Comment