Friday, March 28, 2008

Shumard Oak


How about that? I didn't know there was such a thing. I wanted to make some silly puns about family trees, but I restrained myself :) Click here for some more information on the Shumard Oak trees.
For those of you who didn't know, my paternal grandmother was Evelyn Shumard Wiles.

4 comments:

Ada Bernings said...

I don't know if you were planning on planting that tree in your yard or not, but remember that it is a fruit producer and you will eventually be cleaning up accorns every fall.

Joann said...

How neat, you guys! Thanks for sharing. We have a couple of burr oaks and a couple of red oaks in our yard, and they're beautiful. We had deer and turkey that came up and ate the acorns (as well as lots of squirrels, too).

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

I'm not too worried about cleaning up acorns; the Wikipedia article says they will not appear until the tree reaches 25 years!

Luke got this when his class went to Dillon Nature Center yesterday. We will find a place for it in the yard today. We are in the market for some faster growing trees, however. Any thoughts?

Joann said...

I'd go to a good local nursery and get some expert advice. The trees we have are all over 30 years old so I'm sure there have been some upgrades in varieties since then. Also might check K-State Extension online -- just google it.

Hey, I thought I'd see another "cold soccer mom" picture today. I'm sure ready for some sunshine and warmth!